Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Vietnamese Tofu Subs...My Way

Keith always loves it when someone buys Vietnamese subs for our summer staff so I thought I would try it at home. I created a version of their vegetarian Tofu sub that EVERYONE ATE!!! There was not one scrap of sandwich left, so the Tofu went over well and I am proud. I used bread that someone gave me from Panera. It is long and flat, but not as hard as a cibatta. I am not sure what it is called but it worked well and tasted good. You can use a French or Italian style bread, or some sub rolls for individual subs. This recipe is for one long loaf, and it should serve 4 adults. We ate the sandwiches with nappa cabbage salad: http://sarahsfreshlife.blogspot.com/search?q=nappa+cabbage+salad



Vietnamese Tofu Subs

1 Brick firm Tofu sliced 1/2 inch thick (about 10 slices)
Teriyaki marinade (I used Trader Joes Soyaki)
1/2 English cucumber
2 Medium carrots
1 Medium Daikon Radish
1/2 cup Cilantro sprigs
1 Large soft baguette-style bread

Sauce:
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
2 tbsp chili sauce (siracha if you like it hot, or sweet chili for those who like it milder)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp fish sauce

1. Place sliced tofu in a large sealed container with the marinade and let it sit for 2+ hours.
2. With a veggie peeler slice the cucumber, carrot and radish into long strips and set aside.
3. Prepare the sauce by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
4. Slice the bread lengthwise. Heat a large skillet to medium high. Add the sliced tofu and heat through. When the tofu is hot layer it on the bread. Next layer the veggies and cilantro. Spread the sauce on the top side of the loaf. Close the sandwich up and slice it into sections to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment