Saturday, March 17, 2012

Vegetarian Irish Stout Stew

Happy St.Patrick's day!!! Usually I make a traditional Irish stew with beef and veggies, but this year #1 I did not have the ability to get out to the store and purchase meat and #2 I was hosting a vegetarian, so I amended my traditional recipe for this veggie version and I love it. Enjoy and be healthy!



Vegetarian Irish Stout Stew

1 large onion chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
3 medium carrots chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
4 medium potatoes cut into large chunks
1 medium summer squash chopped (I happen to have summer squash, but peeled butternut or acorn works great too!)
1/4 cup flour
1 bottle of stout beer (I used Sam Adams Black Lager)
4+ cups of veggie stock*
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
 1 tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 cup frozen peas
1 can cannelini beans rinsed and drained (or any white beans)

1. Heat 2 tbsp veggie oil on medium-high in a heavy stock pot. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Saute until onion is opaque. Add potatoes, squash and flour. Stir constantly for one minute to cook the flour, then gradually add the beer and continue stirring, mixture will thicken. Add enough veggie stock until the potatoes are covered. Bring the stew up to a simmer, cover, lower the temperature to low and cook for 20 minutes.
2. Check that the potatoes are cooked through. If they are add thyme, rosemary, peas and beans. Return the stew to a simmer to warm the peas  and beans through (about 5 min), season with salt and pepper if necessary then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment