Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Orange Maple Oatmeal Cookies

When I was sick with shingles I was not supposed to eat chocolate, though sometimes in the evening I really wanted a little something sweet. Instead of eating the Valentines chocolate that was laying around I made myself some these delicious and satisfying cookies. I added orange rind and cinnamon so that they were very scent appealing. I find that when something smells really good I enjoy it more. So take that chocolate snack!
*i think these would be great with nuts, but I was not allowed to eat nuts either.*



Orange Maple Oatmeal Cookies

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
the zest of one orange
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

3/4 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup golden raisins

1.  Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. In a large mixing bowl cream butter  and sugars until they are light and fluffy. Beat in maple syrup, water egg and vanilla.
3. With the mixer on low gradually add the oat mixture until just combined. Fold in cranberries and raisins with a spoon or spatula.
4. drop dough in rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until edges are golden, about 11 min. Let cookies cool on sheets about 2 min then transfer to wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment