Thursday, October 21, 2010

I only want a healthy lunch!

This is what Joseph proclaimed to me one night while I was making his lunch. He went on to define what a healthy lunch was for me which almost brought me to tears. I am really glad that my efforts to teach my kids healthy eating habits is resonating with them in such a positive way. He requests hommus and cucumber wraps or goat cheese and tomato sandwiches. He has also become a fan of home-made soup for lunch, and seed and dried fruit snack mix. He gets upset if I don't give him enough veggies, but he does still love cheese.
Some great things that I have found that make packing his lunch easy:
*Kashi TLC cereal bars: lots of fiber, low sugar, all natural
*Freeze dried fruits from Trader Joes: Most dried fruits (cranberries, blueberries etc...) are processed with oils and often preservatives. Freeze dried fruits are not. If you look at the ingredients they just say...BANANAS
*Raw pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and soy nuts to mix with the fruits
*V8 Veggie blends: just the basic fruit and veggie juices all together, no extras (these are not V8 splash)

Most of the time I succeed with a well-received healthy lunch. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment