Sunday, October 31, 2010

I am the Queem of Risotto!!!

I tried Risotto for the first time on Friday and I think I have fallen in love. I had heard that risotto was difficult and labor intensive so I had stayed away because I could not be bothered with labor intensive "rice." Then I found this recipe in "Everyday Food" which seemed pretty easy, so I tried it, and if you have not tried risotto, use this recipe and expect a treat. It was awesome...except that Timmy refused to eat it, and Joseph ate it under duress. I loved it though, so yay for me.

Butternut Squash Risotto

2 tbsp butter
2 shallots, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
salt and pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1 medium butternut squash (2 lbs) peeled and diced medium (4 cups)
4 cups veggie broth
1 bunch of kale (about 3 cups chopped)
grated Parmesan cheese for serving

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a medium heavy dutch oven heat butter and cook shallots and garlic. Add rice and cook until opaque (3 min). season with salt and pepper. Add wine and cook stirring until liquid is absorbed. (2 min) Add squash and broth and bring to a boil. Stir in kale. Cover, transfer to the oven, and bake until most of the liquid is absorbed. (20 min) Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment