Thursday, May 5, 2011

Fava beans Are Done

 The beans have been hulled and blanched and shelled. I could not figure out how to turn this picture, so you will just have to turn your head. What is in the colander are the beans, and what is next to that are the shells, post blanching. Whew!! they are a lot of drama, but they made some yummy stuff. 

Tim and I made the fava bean hummus which is excellent. Good texture, I might add some more garlic next time because ours is a bit bland, but I think I am used to tasting hummus with the tahini in it.

We also made the Fava bean pasta sauce and had that for dinner over fettuchini last night. That went over really well. Everyone liked it. The two changes I made were that I boiled some peas with the noodles then added the sauce, and I used Feta cheese instead of the Parmesan because that is what I had.

I prepared the Falfel mix, and the consistency looks good. We will see how it cooks up tomorrow.

All in all I like fava beans, they are yummy and good for you, but if someone had not given me a huge box of them I probably would not have gone through all the work to prep them. Once they are hulled, blanched, shelled and cooked they are easy to work with and very versatile, but again, a lot of time for something not terribly glamorous. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment