Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Nasturtium Pesto

 


Nasturtiums are one of my favorite things to grow. I just love their vibrance and how full they grow as the summer progresses. Their flowers are lovely and the round lilly-pad-like leaves are unique in the garden.  I regularly plant nasturtiums around my vegetables because they attract polinators and keep harmful pests from the veggies. I have always knows that the flowers were edible, and I have been known to throw a couple on a salad every once in a while. But this year I have been experimenting with using the whole plant more. I found this recipe for nasturtium pesto and it is really tasty! It did not last more than a week in the refrigerator, so I am going to try freezing another batch. 

We used this with pasta and grilled veggies and it was delightful. The Nasturtium pesto has a slightly earthy and more peppery taste than basil-only pesto but it deliveres the same bright fresh addition to any recipe.


Nasturtium Pesto

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups packed nasturtium leaves
  • 1 cup nasturtium flowers
  • 1 cup fresh basil
  • 3/4 cup quality olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2/3 cup nuts (I used Brazil nuts, Walnuts or Almonds work well too)
  • 3/4 cup shredded  Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • salt, to taste
Directions:

1. Add all the ingredients in a food processor or or blender. I usually process the garlic nuts and cheese first, then add the leafy greens, lemon and oil.  Add more oil until the pesto reaches your desired consistency. Salt to taste.

2. Store in the refrigerator (or freezer) for up to one week. Use as you would any other pesto.



No comments:

Post a Comment