Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Catherine's Cookies

 



It is amazing how tastes, smells and sounds can bring us back to specific moments in our childhood. This cookie recipe is one of those for me. My grandmother used to make these cookies for us a lot when I was growing up. I don't know who Catherine is, or why this recipe is named after her, but I like her cookies.


They are a simple cookie, but they are unusual. They are light and crispy, while still having a satisfying chewy texture because it has some surprises. This recipe incorporates oats and Rice Krispies! We had a box of Rice Krispies given to us recently. No one in this house will actually eat them for breakfast because they taste like air, so I needed something to do with the cereal. We made Rice Krispy treats and still had most of the box left. Then I remembered these cookies. I have the recipe in a frame, which I love because it is one of my favorite things my grandmother would make, and it is in her handwriting. I did have to make some tweaks to the recipe. Margarine is not an item that I keep on hand. I substituted butter just fine, and I am sure you could use coconut oil too witout any trouble. I also added cinnamon, because cinnamon is awesome and I like it.




It was fun to share these with my own kids. They liked them a lot, and they were a welcome change from the normal cookie roster. The recipe does make A LOT of cookies though. They lasted us for over 2 weeks. Plus side: they still tasted good after two weeks. 😆I hope you try them with your own left over Rice Krispies and enjoy.

Catherine's Cookies

Ingredients:

1 Cup white sugar

1 Cup brown sugar

1 Cup oil

2 sticks of margarine (or butter or coconut oil)

1 egg

2 Teaspoons vanilla

3 1/2 Cups flour

1 Teaspoon salt

1 Teaspoon baking soda

1 Teaspoon cream of tartar

1 Teaspoon of cinnamon

1 1/3 Cups oatmeal

1 1/3 Cups Rice Krispies

1 1/3 Cups finely chopped nuts 

(I have a nut adverse eater in my house, I just compensated with an additiona 2/3 cups of both oatmeal and Rice Krispies)

Directions:

1. Cream together sugars, oil and margarine or butter.

2. When the mix is light and fluffy, add the egg and vanilla.

3. Add the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar and cinnamon.

4. When the dry ingredients are completely incorporated, fold in the oatmeal, Rice Krispies and nuts. The batter will be very light and fluffy

5. Drop by teaspoonfulls onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten the batter balls with your hand or a glass. 

6. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies). They are done when the edges are golden. Yeilds 8 dozen



No comments:

Post a Comment