Thursday, November 14, 2019

Garlic Mustard Cream Sauce




I have to let you know right away that I am NOT a mustard lover. I will always choose ketchup for my hot dog. When I was 5 I made myself a mustard and cheese sandwich that was a Dagwood -style masterpiece (using all the cheese my family had in the refrigerator). I took one bite and refused to eat it. My mother was not pleased, and I am pretty sure she made me eat my shunned creation to drive home the point that I should not waste food. All that to illustrate that mustard and I have not been friends for a long time. But Germany changed my life. Seasonally, during Octoberfest, Aldi will carry a variety of whole- grain mustards. This one is my favorite. I buy a bunch of them so I can use them all year long.



Quality, whole-grain mustard is a revelation! It has the heat, texture and sweet that for some reason really appeals to me, much more than it's distant yellow deli cousin. I liked the idea of this recipe, but changed it to incorporate my whole grain friend.

This sauce is delightful; decadent, tangy, savory and sweet. We used it on salmon, but I think it would go well on poached eggs too.



Garlic Mustard Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

  1. For the sauce, in a small sauce pan melt butter. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the flour until blended and smooth.
  2. Gradually add the cream and reduce heat to medium low. Stir in the mustard and dill. Salt and pepper to suit taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment