Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Grilled Tofu and Jam Sandwich

I know...most of you read the title and thought WHAAAAAAT?

Hear me out.

My four-year-old Aaron was trying to decide what to make for lunch today. He decided he wanted a Jam sandwich, then he wanted salad on it, and tofu, and he wanted it grilled.

As he was verbally processing this fantastical lunch I was making soup for myself. I stood there and listened and wondered...Do we try this, or should I convince him to go with plain old PB&J? My helpless romantic and crunchy granola mothers in me piped up that this could be a very interesting and exciting project. So we went for it.




Look out world. This kid has got creativity and great taste. The sandwich was AWESOME!

Here is Aaron's first original recipe. Grilled Tofu and Jam Sandwich :)
(Such a proud mama)

Grilled Tofu and Jam Sandwich

2 slices of whole grain bread
two pieces of thinly sliced tofu
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp good Jam (we used a home-made grape jelly, but any jam will work)
a handful of field greens or lettuce.

1. Set out your bread. Spread the jam on one piece, and lay the greens on top. Place the tofu on the other piece of bread and sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Press both halves together.

2. Heat a small skillet or frying pan. If you desire you can add some coconut oil or veggie oil to get the bread more crispy. When the pan is hot add your sandwich. Turn the heat down to medium.

3. Cook both sides until they are golden brown and toasty. (about 5 min a side) Cool a bit and enjoy. *Caution, the jam can get really hot, we recommend cooking the jam side first so it is not too hot when you go to eat the sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment