Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Vegan Gluten Free Baked Oatmeal



In our house we sometimes get into a breakfast rut, mostly as a result of my inability to peel myself off my bed and my husband's affinity for the snooze button. Cereal is my best friend. We buy good cereal. I am pretty sure my kids don't even know what Lucky Charmes or Cocoa Puffs taste like. But seriously...cereal every day can get a little bor-ing. I also know that my family's day starts with breakfast, and it fuels the rest of their day. We always start with water to help re-hydrate everyone. If you don't drink water first thing in the morning. I would challenge you to try it for a week. It really does amazing things.



Back to breakfast...I saw a baked oatmeal recipe floating around Facebook that looked like it might be interesting. When I posted it on my wall so I could find it again it got mixed reviews so I knew it could be improved upon. (you know that's how I roll) This is my revamped version that uses pumpkin pure instead of eggs, non-dairy milk, and coconut milk replacing the butter. I also simplified the mix-ins. I personally felt there was a lot going on. I used raisins and chocolate chips. I forgot the walnuts by mistake (Timothy was happy) but I would add any nuts or seeds you like. This recipe would lend itself very well to the incorporation of fox or chia seeds. Fresh fruit will also work with this recipe. I would cut the amount back from 1 cup to 3/4 cup to reduce excess moisture.



 The end product is sturdy enough to eat as a bar on the run, or you can eat it like oatmeal. I saved myself morning time by baking this the night before. We then cut pieces and poured warm almond milk on it. It was fabulous! It keeps well and still tasted great 3 days later. I am excited to break the monotony and have another easy and nutritious option. Enjoy!



Vegan Gluten Free Baked Oatmeal

2 cups gf oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup walnuts
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or carob chips
2 cups non dairy milk (I used a coconut/almond mix)
3 tbsp coconut oil melted
1 tbsp vanilla
1/3 cup pumpkin pure (you could also try apple sauce if you like)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Grease a 9x13 baking pan

In  a medium mixing bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Fold the walnuts, raisins, and chocolate chips into the dry mix.  In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, pumpkin, vanilla and coconut oil. Spread the dry mix evenly in the baking pan, then slowly pour the wet mixture over the dry. Gently tap the pan on your work surface to ensure even distribution. Bake 35-40 minutes until the oatmeal is set.
*You may eat this right away, it is very tasty, but it will not solidify into a cut-able consistency until it cools and sets.




No comments:

Post a Comment