Friday, March 14, 2014

Product Review: Mung Bean Fetuccini

Mung Bean Fettuccine 




I know, I know...all of you Italians out there are horrified. :) Mung Beans? My only knowledge of mung beans until very recently was that Creed from the office sprouts them in his desk and in his words. "they smell like death." Not very good press for mung beans.



For the past year though I have been gluten free, and one of the things that I miss the most is PASTA!!! Growing up in NJ pasta had its own section of the food store and its own table at pot lucks. I always especially liked spinach fettuccine. Yesterday we popped into Whole Foods to get a few things, and I spied these noodles. They looked just like the noodles from my childhood! I thought I would take a chance. Sooooooo glad I did.



These noodles cook up really well. They are a bit thinner than the traditional spinach fettuccine but they taste pretty much the same. GLORY! The big +...they have 25g of protein per serving, two ingredients (mung beans & water), they are vegan, gluten free, and oh yeah, did I mention delicious? I am excited!

I had some of these for lunch simply with salt, pepper, a drizzle of EVOO and some nutritional yeast flakes. They would be fabulous with a home-made pesto. If you are looking for a good recipe try this one: http://sarahsfreshlife.blogspot.com/search?q=pesto



No comments:

Post a Comment