Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pumpkin Ice Cream

I firmly believe that EVERY family should have an ice cream maker. We made tons of fruit sorbet desserts  over the summer, and it is a great way to create your own whole food desserts. This recipe is not remotely vegan. I made it because I love my husband and he has a passionate love affair with Ice Cream. (and I happened to have some whole milk in the fridge I bought to make Mac n' Cheese for the kiddos' school Thanksgiving feast.) It was fabulous though, and I thought that other people may enjoy it too.

Earlier this fall when I made my Stew-in-a-pumpkin http://sarahsfreshlife.blogspot.com/search?q=pumpkin+stew , i pureed the cooked pumpkin and froze it in quart sized bags. So for this ice cream recipe I used frozen pumpkin. You can use canned pumpkin it will just take a bit longer in your ice cream machine.

I have not yet attempted a vegan version of ice cream...I am kind of afraid. I think it will be my next big adventure.



Pumpkin Ice Cream

15 oz Pumpkin Puree
1 cup Whole Milk
2/3 cups 1/2 & 1/2
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of ginger
pinch of nutmeg

1. Blend all ingredients in a blender (especially if your pumpkin is frozen)
2. Pour it into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers' instructions.
3. You can freeze this in an air-tight container for a few days and it will harden a bit. It does tend to be on the soft-serve side.

No comments:

Post a Comment