Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Brussel Sprout Slaw





I inherited two bushels of Brussel Sprouts this weekend.

Let that sink in...two bushels is a LOT of sprouts.

My boys actually like brussel sprouts. I usually roast them in the oven and everyone is happy, but when you have two bushels to work with  roasting gets old fast. I cleaned and froze a bunch and gave a lot away to lucky people who happen to know me and like veggies. But I also tried making slaw with brussel sprouts for the first time. It worked out really well. The boys all liked it and it was a fun way to use a bunch of the sprouts. I have seen recipes that use nuts and dried fruit. You can try that and add it if you like. I was looking for something purely savory and had no nuts so this is what we ended up with. The only thing that took a while was shredding all the sprouts! I used a knife and it seemed like forever. Next time I would use a food processor with a slicing blade or try a mandolin.




Brussel Sprout Slaw

4 cups shredded brussel sprouts
2 carrots shredded
3 green onions chopped

Dressing:

1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp sesame seed
2 tbsp sugar


1. Prepare the veggies and toss gently in a medium bowl.

2. Combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk until well incorporated.

3. Pour dressing over veggies. Toss again gently and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment