Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Vegan +Gluten Free = ?




In February I went to go visit my Dr. and as an experiment for my health she recommended that I go Gluten free for a while. I did, and the combination of vegan and gluten free is very hard and confusing, and is the reason for so few blog posts in the past few months. I was trying to figure out how to be creative and delicious with a whole new set of guidelines. I was not a huge fan, but after five weeks I had lost weight and my blood pressure was down, so she told me I should continue. I do not have a gluten allergy, and I am not really sold on cutting it out all together forever, but it has been good to be more mindful of the amount of gluten, especially dessert gluten :) that has been a part of my life.




 I think it is a great idea to limit gluten and eat more whole foods, but there is a growing market of  "gluten-free" foods that have happy healthy looking labels on them but their ingredients include things you cannot pronounce and do not have their origins in the soil at all. There is also a tendency to fixate on one component of health and ignore balance in eating. I do that! It says GF or Vegan, and I think...Great! I am going to eat the whole thing! The biggest thing I am learning with healthy eating is that balance is the key. GF food may still contain a lot of fat, or carbs. There is no magic bullet for health, just a lot of balancing. (I will need to go to Yoga more)



I also discovered that I have an allergy to something in or the processing of GF pasta. (sad day) That was a huge blow to my New Jersey, "everything goes with pasta" upbringing. So I was left with a small amount of products that I could work with and still create something that I was satisfied with. I am going to try and post some of the recipes and products that worked for me. I hope it is helpful and maybe inspires you to cook something creative, delicious and healthy.

Until then I strive on :) Happy Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment